Intermediaries Supervision Department is seeking a high calibre candidate to join as a Manager to support its challenging profile of work.
Reporting to a Senior Manager, you will be part of a team to supervise intermediaries with a focus on their business conduct, financial and operational risks. An area of increasing importance for this role will be the supervision of regulated activities related to virtual assets. The team also covers certain other FinTech areas, such as machine learning and electronic data storage in cloud.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide technical assistance in assessing the licensing applications by virtual asset trading platform operators and virtual asset fund managers, and proactively supervise licensed entities in the virtual asset sector
- Provide thought leadership in evaluating key business drivers, risk profile and internal controls of virtual asset trading platform operators and virtual asset fund managers, as well as in policy development for the virtual asset sector
- Supervise the business conduct, financial and operational risk of intermediaries across a range of regulated activities in traditional asset classes, including hedge fund managers, mutual fund managers and retail brokers
- Proactively identify market-wide, industry and firm-specific risk issues and assess their impact on intermediaries, including developments in the rapidly evolving virtual asset space
- Formulate effective regulatory responses and policy initiatives to address key issues identified
- Interact dynamically with senior management of intermediaries, communicate our regulatory standards and policies to intermediaries and stakeholders
- Monitor global as well as local policy, industry and market developments to assess intermediaries’ practices and operational controls with respect to new products or activities, and contribute to the assessment of local and global sectoral risks; and
Monitor global and local financial market dynamics, and gather market intelligence from intermediaries, especially during market stress.
- At least 8 years’ capital markets industry experience in operational and technology risk control, with coverage of cyber security risks
- Practical experience of virtual asset trading, custody, transfer or fund management
- Solid understanding of the technical drivers of blockchain technology underlying virtual assets and the virtual asset ecosystem, proficiency with cryptographic techniques
- Detailed knowledge of financial products in multiple asset classes from a trading, risk management or operations perspective, preferably gained from leading global financial institutions on buy and sell side
- Experience in programming or software engineering, trading system architectures (such as OMS/PMS/EMS or risk management systems), or automated trading systems (such as high frequency trading or quantitative trading)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, proven ability in data analytics
- Good at defining problems, developing analysis, articulating views, responding to objections, and challenging business practices. Able to present arguments and analysis confidently, clearly and concisely
- Excellent ability to communicate to non-technical stakeholders; and
Well organized and able to manage multiple assignments concurrently.
- Trading experience in global financial institutions
- Knowledge of SFC rules and regulations applicable to intermediaries
Please quote the reference and apply by 22 December 2023 with details of qualifications, previous experience, current and expected salary to:
Securities & Futures Commission
54/F, One Island East
18 Westlands Road, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong
(E-mail address : email@example.com)
All applications will be handled in strict confidence by authorised personnel and will only be used for recruitment related purposes. Applicants who do not hear from us within six months from the application deadline may consider their applications as unsuccessful. All information on unsuccessful candidates will be destroyed after six months.
We are an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.